Thursday, February 5, 2009

I'm here!

So I am here officially.  The flight was very long but not as bad as I anticipated. I left JFK around 5:20 p.m. Tuesday night and arrived in Cape Town at 8:20 p.m. the next day ( 1:20 p.m. EST).  

As I got off the plane, I was amazed at how windy it was but the wind was so refreshing and I am so excited to be here that it could have been 30 degrees out for all I cared.  I was greeted by Marita, Greta and Ben.  I can't explain how I feel because it feels so surreal.  I arrived at the flat and starting unpacking.  The flat is very cute and it there is a beautiful view of Table Mountain.  I was not able to see that view until this morning.  I was up at 5:00 a.m. taking picture out on the balcony.  I only slept four hours.

Marita informed me that we would have a long day today and we certainly did.  We went to the University of Cape Town.  The ride to get there was an adventure and I feel like everywhere you turn there is an incredible view of the city.  It is unlike anything that I have ever witnessed.  The view of Cape Town from the University is absolutely stunning.  I hated that I was taking pictures because I do not want to look  like a tourist but I could not resist.  The campus is beautiful nothing like UConn and it is very diverse.  This was probably the first time I have seen so many black people on a college campus and it is not a historically black university.  I definitely appreciate the diversity.  

We went to Center for African Studies and I sat in on two very educational lectures.  One lecture spoke to the history of democracy in Cape Town and how it came to be.  The other class highlighted the experiences of students in Cape Town - their struggles and their best moments. Then we were off to a book store to hear a woman by the name of Ida Susser.  She recently published a book entitled AIDS, Sex, and Culture-Global Politics and Survival in Southern Africa.  It was great but I was so tired.  

I would love to elaborate more but I am so so tired.  I cannot wait to go to sleep.  I need the energy for tomorrow. I will be able to write a better blog and share the knowledge that I have with you.

(I apologize for any typos, I'll be better tomorrow)

2 comments:

  1. Hey it's Elith...I'm glad you reached South Africa safely...I'm extremely excited for you as you encounter new experiences and potentially life changing moments...I can't wait to read your next posts as your adventure continues...Tell Greta I say hi...blog you soon... <3 Elith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey LeeAnne I am so glad that you arrived safely and that you have already hit the ground running. Thats the only way to be with an opportunity such as yours. I just wanted to inform you that I am now only going to refer to you by your african name which your mother has blessed you with already. Soooooo have lots of fun, take all of the sights, culture and food Kenda. I will be awaiting your next blog Kenda!!! Until then!!!!;-)

    ReplyDelete