I have done so much in the past four days I don't know if I could possibly be able to recount all of the awe-inspiring details but I will attempt to. I save my deepest thoughts about my trip for my diary so you will not have idea about all that I am feeling but at least you will know what I have been doing and that I am alive and well.
Last Friday, Parliament opened in South Africa so we went down to the parade that they were having in town. I was surprise that there were not many people at all and I thought about how impossible it would be to even be to get down to D.C., let alone find a prime viewing spot for any parade where the president may be involved. That is also because we have a great president currently. It is amazing to me how many people are interested in Obama. Not a day goes by when a reference has not been made about Obama or if they find out that we are Americans, people have questions and comments and seem so pleased that Obama is in office. The other day, a man working on a tour we attended at Robbens Island asked Greta and I where we were from. We replied 'the states' and he replies ' We can!' It took me a minute to register but then I repsonded with 'Yes we can!' and we all laughed (You can see a picture with him and I on Greta's blog - which I must say is very informative. You will probably not get that here.)
Anyways, we went down to town and saw the parade. It was extremely hot and some of the men and women in their army attire looked like the were going to pass out so I was a bit concerned for them. After the parade, we went to eat at a restaurant called Winesense and also wanted to catch some of the State of the Union address. South Africans seems to know everything going on politically in their country. You could ask anyone on the streets and they could tell you everything. I believe that it is not so much so in the U.S. I have to admit that I felt a little ashamed that my knowledge on South Africa's current political situation is very limited but I am learning as the days move forth. I never was interested in politics but being here has definitely opened my eyes to embracing a true understanding of politics not just in South Africa but the United States as well. I have had more revelations in the past two days then in the past month at home but I suppose that what a new environment would do for you.
After lunch, we went by all the street vendors and just spent time in town absorbing the atmosphere, the different languages, the attire, and the climate. While sitting and waiting for a cab to take us back to the flat, I witnessed four different people in a span of ten minutes looking through the trash. I felt so sad. I do not do well with seeing people in need and that's one reason that moving to a city does not appeal to me (the potential to be desensitzed to people that are in poverty). I have heard that at night many of the street kids are out and begging for money. I don't know how I will deal with that but I was instructed to not give money because chances are that there is someone that exploits them and will take the money from them. : (
On Saturday, Greta and I took a ferry to Robbens Island, where Nelson Mandela and many other individuals (political prisoners) were imprisoned in their fight to end apartheid. I am currently reading a Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela and it chronicles his life and experiences leading up to his imprisonment, all for the sake of freedom for the people of South Africa. I'll educate you in later posts : )
I have had wonderful dinner gatherings with people that call South Africa home and many more to come.
I went to Muizenberg beach yesterday. The scenery is incredible and the waves were unlike anything that I have ever experienced. There were so many people surfing. I will be trying that the next time we head to the beach.
Today we will also be attending the Slave Lodge Musuem and Bo-Kaap ( I think I spelled that write). Hopefully I will be able to write later tonight---trying to remember everything can be difficult.
Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.
Sunday, February 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
all is well! You are writing very well - I must say. It's amazing that you are not only there, but that you are doing everything you can to immerse yourself in the culture and history of South Africa. I'm sure you will have many many things to teach me about its history. When I go to India and hear people like my grandfather talk about politics, I too am reminded of how little we as Americans know about our own political situation. I wouldn't be surprised if you come back and try to get on the ballot for '12 :)....another new thing Lee Anne can get everyone into. Keep updating!!!!!
ReplyDeleteHey girl,
ReplyDeleteI am not suprised to hear that you have already had several revelations. That is the LeeAnne I know and love. I knew you wouldn't disappoint me. You may have very well inspired me to become more informed about your political system and all the things that are going on. Don't get your hopes up though, I won't be doing any heavy reading any time soon. I am glad that you are making good use of your time in Africa and continue to keep us posted.